Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Salt Lake City

When we woke up Saturday morning, our original plan was to go to Great Salt Lake.  As I was playing with the GPS, I found a museum with a dinosaur display.  The Utah Museum of Natural History was a hit with the kids and made up for not being able to visit the one in Price, Utah.  Kakes spent quite a bit of time in the mineralogy hall looking at the crystals and gemstones.




Downstairs at the museum, the big kids actually sat down and watched a 10 minute video on how the paleontologists find and collect dinosaur bones and fossils and ready them for display.  There was also a lab where you could watch them cleaning and preserving the fossils.


The lab is in the background. 

I don't think the kids were as impressed as I thought they'd be with the dinosaur hall upstairs.  I took the most pictures up there though.

I should have snapped a picture of B-saurus here.






The kids enjoyed the Bugs Alive display the most.  B-saurus and Malone were fascinated with the water bugs. 

B saw this wolf and insisted that it was a doggie from the woof-woof movie (Eight Below).

I enjoyed the anthropology exhibits.  The Native American bead work is simply stunning.  The colors are vivid with intricate details.  As a crafty person, I can only begin to imagine how much work went into these.

Following our museum visit, we grabbed some lunch and then headed to Great Salt Lake.  And boy, that was an adventure!  I'll share our trials and tribulations there in the next installment!

1 comment:

JM said...

Excellent post. Gorgeous beadwork too...wow. I've done some beading from time to time...mostly hairclips and earrings, and it takes ages...so I can attest to how long it took to make those pieces.

Cant wait for the next post... ;)