Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Days 2-3

It's hard to believe that it's only been 3 days since we left home.  I feel like we've been on the road for at least a week! 

Day 2 was easier since we had about a 4 hour drive, then a fun excursion.  We stopped in St. Louis and took the kids to the City Museum.  Check out the link because my description won't do the place justice and my pictures don't show the scale of the things the kids were climbing on very well.  It was perfect for Kakes and Pat but Malone and B-saurus were a little overwhelmed.  Ga-Ga and myself also, to tell the truth.  It was crowded and hard to keep track of the kids.  We ended up on the third floor and the little girls played on the skate ramps and rode the train.  Pat and Kakes took off exploring and somehow always found us.  Kakes enjoyed all the architectural pieces from old buildings.  I think Pat would have happily stayed at City Museum but we still had another 3 hours to drive that day so we headed off.




On the way to our nighttime stopping point, a few more potty stops.


Why is it that they always have to go when there is no place to stop?

Not long after the potty break, the sky started to turn an ominous color.  Sure enough, it started pouring rain.

We made it to my cousin Cheryl's house despite the rain and dubious driving conditions. The house is phenomenal and the kids felt right at home downstairs in the playroom.  I wish I had taken pictures of the inside.  It could easily be a Bed & Breakfast.  Cheryl spoiled the kiddos and the little girls were ready to move in.  Her children came over in the morning with their kids and Pat was delighted that there was 5 boys to help even out the boy/girl ratio.  As he said, "I've been stuck with 5 women!".  They played for a bit (b-saurus anointed their swing set with pee) and we hit the road again to surprise my Grandmother. 

Cheryl and B-saurus

View from back of Cheryl's house  Sure beats the view we have at home!

We didn't visit too long at Grandma's.  The kids played with her poodle Butch and roamed outside for a bit.  Malone came in yelling excitedly that there was a "wild beagle" outside.  I didn't know what to think...maybe an eagle statue?  a real bird sitting on the fence?.  Turns out it was a neighbor's beagle.
Butch

The kids with Grandma D and the "wild beagle"

We headed back on the road towards Kansas.  Once again, it wasn't a long drive today but due to lack of sleep, it felt like an eternity.  We arrived at the hotel around 6 pm and grabbed some dinner.  Then we turned the kids loose in the pool to burn off some energy.  The younger three ended up in a spot of trouble for running through the halls of the hotel after they'd been told a bazillion few times to stop.  We soon had everyone in pjs and as I wrap this post up, I'm praying hopeful that they are asleep.  Tomorrow, will be another long day in the minivan as we push into Colorado and come closer to our destination in Idaho.

Kansas Sky

3 comments:

jbear said...

ok, so the part about the wild beagle made me laugh out loud! Hilarious. I also like the cross-out function.

Take your time and enjoy the sights, guys -- Idaho will be here on Monday, I promise. And we'll make sure there's lots of down time when you get here.

Otter said...

I can't believe how far you've gotten in just 3 days. I'm going to have to talk Jason into doing this one summer.

JM said...

Wow, great post. I love the photos! Happy travels and I can't wait to read the next entry... :)