Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Antelope Island Redeemed

Swimming in Great Salt Lake was a bust and at first we thought all of Antelope Island was.  It was still relatively early so we took off on some of the roads on the Island looking for bison (and enjoying the air conditioning in the minivan).  There's a herd that fluctuates between 550 and 700 that live on the island.  We never did find any bison (we didn't take the mountain view road-maybe they were there) but we did discover The Fielding Garr Ranch. 

I was a little leery to step back out in the world of biting flies but Ga-Ga convinced me to at least see what was there.  I'm glad that I did as the ranch was a fun experience.  There's outbuildings, barns, horses, a sheep wagon, ranch house, bunk house, spring house, etc.  It's all interactive and you can touch away, always a plus with kids.  And surprise, surprise there were no biting insects on that side of the island.  Yes!
B-saurus, Kakes, Pat, Malone in the sheep camper.  This was B's favorite part.

Horses!  Kake's favorite part.  She's a girl after my own heart.

View of Great Salt Lake from the ranch

Kakes napping in the bunk house

Cowboy Pat

Spring House with milk can keeping cool.  Malone's favorite part.

Pat crossing the spring fed stream.  Pat, Ga-ga, and myself traversed it.  That was Ga-ga's favorite part of the ranch.


Relaxing in the ranch house

Malone testing out one of the beds

Pat attempting to lasso a cow.  This was his favorite part.  Everyone gave it a try but no one made it.  I've lost my skills as a few years ago in St. Augustine, FL I roped a steer (pretend, of course).

My favorite part was going in the ranch house.  They had all the rooms set up and you could look in the drawers, sit on the furniture, lay on the beds...whatever you wanted.  I found the old washing machines and stoves interesting but I'm glad that I don't have to use them!




This will probably be my last post for a few days.  Nothing much exciting happened today and we're due to arrive at our destination tomorrow.  But I'll update again, probably mid-week or so after we've recovered from the constant travelling of the last week.  TTFN!

1 comment:

cdad said...

oops... posted driving suggestions on the earlier thread?

if you take 55 through McCall, that might be a better option for lunch than Riggins?

also, Payette Lake is much nicer than the great salty cesspool... chilly though.